Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

New Book(s) Review!!! Carole P. Roman!



Review Crew


Carole P Roman Blog


Books by Carole P Roman



Books by Carole P Roman



About the product/service: As part of the Homeschool Review Crew, I received several books from Carole P. Roman, including If You Were Me and Lived in... Egypt and If You Were Me and Lived in... Greece from the Cultural Series. 


What are the pros of this product?

These are the kind of books I like to have around the house. I have always sought them out to fill my bookshelves. I hated learning about geography in school because it was nothing but boring maps with a few facts and figures thrown in and learning lists of countries and capitals which meant pretty much nothing to me. These types of books are written more like a story which invites the reader to come and see what it would be like to live as a child in another country. Much more interesting! 

What's not to like?
The only thing I can think of is that because the books look like typical picture books, it may turn off an older child. Now, my daughter will read anything, and my son gets intimidated by small print and pages filled with words, so they both were totally okay with the books I read even though they were just a little out of the age range they were written for. (See below.) 


The Crazy Mom take:
First I have to admit, my intention was to ask for books in the Historical Series, but I guess I somehow asked for books in the Cultural Series, which is supposed to be for ages 4-8ish. My kids are 14 and 16. Oops! Being a committed person, I still read the books to my kids in lieu of our usual economics class. They didn't seem to mind at all. I still think they got something out of it, after all, new information is new information, right? They (and I) still learned all about everyday life in each country, such as the common foods, traditions, and sports. We even learned a few new words. (I also got a book about Germany as well as Greece and Egypt which follows the same format.)

As I said earlier, I did intend to get books from the Historical Series which is for kids roughly 8-15, which would have been in the right age range, but I didn't. My reason for wanting the historical books wasn't actually based on age, but based on the fact that it's been quite some time since we studied ancient history and I thought it would be a nice refresher. The nice thing is that the books do briefly mention the Greece and Egypt of old, so it was a win-win. :) Not only that, I did get sent an additional book which actually is from the Historical Series called If You Were Me and Lived in...Renaissance Italy. I found this book to actually be quite similar to the others. The main difference is that these are books about history and do include more detail. The main set up of the book though, giving information about daily life such as foods, traditions, and sports is more or less the same. Each of these four books is basically a picture book and is nicely illustrated. 

I was sent one more book, Oh Susannah: It's in the bag. This is actually a fictional chapter book meant for ages 7-12. It's one of many other fictional books available. This particular book is about a young girl who has a bad day, and somehow each bad moment includes something that adds to the weight in her backpack, such as unfinished homework, a quiz she totally failed, and an invitation to a party she didn't want to attend. By bedtime, both the backpack and Susannah burst under the weight of it all. All in all, I found these to be quality books that I will gladly keep here for my grandchildren to read, or will pass along to one of my kids for their kids. I really wish I could afford the whole set of both the Cultural Series and the Historical Series. I would highly recommend these books. :)

What's the bottom line?
The If You Were Me... books are $11.99 paperback/$24.99 hardcover/$2.99 Kindle (Unless you have Unlimited, then you can read free!) The other books have various prices. 

I am going to give Carole P. Roman books 5 out of 5 smileys!!! :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 

Check it out! http://caroleproman.blogspot.com/ 

See what my fellow TOS Crew members have to say @






*The Smiley System:


:) I can't really recommend this product.

:)  :) I doubt this product would be helpful to many people.

:)  :)  :) This is a good product, but it isn't right for everyone.

:)  :)  :)  :) Most homeschool moms will find this useful.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :) This is great, and I would recommend it to anyone!!!


Crew Disclaimer





Well, hello there!!! I'm so glad you stopped by! :) I bet you'd like to get my posts delivered right to your inbox, now wouldn't you? So why not sign up for Feedburner? Check it out, it's right there in my sidebar! Thanks!!  :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails