Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 4, 2017

It Seems Like Everything is Broken

My dryer started making some terrible sounds a while back, but it was still working. Finally, it just stopped. Now, it hadn't been that long that I'd mostly caught up with the laundry before going on vacation, but those glory days are over. We finally broke down and bought a new one. Goodbye $600.

At the same time my dishwasher refused to turn on. I hate phone calls and we dealt with hand washing and paper plates for a few weeks until I finally got around to calling. Then it was over a week before the repairman could come out. Finally, he did and had to replace both the panel and he motor. The firs time I ran it was making some awfully strange noises. I've run it about twice since then and it seems a little better, but I might have to call him back.

Then, as if having a bad dryer didn't put us behind in laundry enough, our washer is acting up. It will run until it gets to the spin and drain cycle and then stop. We have figured out how to get it to eventually spin and drain, but it's not a great system.

My husband's laptop is in for repair, but it should be done today. He's been without it several weeks. We actually got American Express to pay over $300 for the repairs because they extend the warranty. (So do most credit cards.) It's a long, drawn out process, though. Still, I guess it's worth it! (On a very happy note, I am typing on my laptop which wouldn't work for days and suddenly, after I prayed for it, is working fine!)

Two days ago, my husband sat in his chair and it broke. He took it this morning to be fixed.

My fridge is making a squealing noise. And, now that I think about it, so it my van.

Ugh! Why do things seems to go like this? One thing breaks and it's like a domino effect. Suddenly it seems like out whole world is breaking down. Truth is, it is. Nothing here on this earth is eternal. Remember that verse about our treasures?

Matthew 6:20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. (NIV)

My appliances, electronics, furniture, and vehicles are not eternal. I'll be happy if they give me even a few good years of service. I can't count on them to last forever, and even if they did, I won't be here forever myself! During times like this, I like to remind myself that these things have very little, if any effect on eternity. What's important is our love for and our service to Christ and others. We can't take our earthly treasures with us when we die. (I wouldn't want to have to do laundry in heaven anyway!) Life is so much easier when we learn to live our lives with an eternal perspective.  :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails