Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

New Review!!! See and Read!


Well, hello there!!!  I'm so glad you stopped by!  :)  I bet you'd like to get my posts delivered right to your inbox, now wouldn't you?  So why not sign up for Feedburner?  Check it out, it's right there in my sidebar!  Thanks!!  :)




About the product/service: As part of the TOS Homeschool Crew I received four free sample products from  from See-N-Read Reading Tools. They sent two Clear Solid Read Bars (one small 3 1/2" x 5" book size, and one large 3 1/2" x  8 1/2" document size), a Cutout Read Bar or Memorymark, and a link for a free demo version of the eSee-N-Read which is an electronic Read Bar available for PCs. 


A Read Bar is a tool that isolates a line of text so that the reader is less likely to skip words or lines or text when reading.  It also claims to reduce "pattern glare," eye strain, and eye fatigue.  The Cutout Bars are different in that instead of just having a clear plastic "window" through which to read the line of text, the area is actually cut out so that you can highlight or mark up the text as you read along.  The e-version is really just like the regular versions.  It's as if you are holding a Read Bar right up to your computer screen.  Well, except you don't have to hold it.  LOL  (The tangible Read Bars are made from flexible polyproplylene, it that means anything to you.)

What are the pros of this product?  This is a great product if you have a child who tends to skip lines or words, or just has a hard time focusing on the text.  And they are quite inexpensive, a real plus for me!  :) 

Another plus is that while the line of text is isolated, the lines above and below are still readable.  I know I'm not explaining this very well, so I do recommend you actually go to the site and check it out.  This is all explained very well there.  :)


What's not to like? There are really no drawbacks to this product that I can see unless your child refuses to use it!


The Crazy Mom take:  Well, to be honest, in our particular situation, this product wasn't a good fit.  Not because of any fault of the product, but because we just don't need it right now.  Of all of my kids, only one has any trouble with reading.  My youngest, Baber, could use a tool like this, but right now the font in his reading book is a bit too large for the Reading Bar.  (The eSee-N-Read can actually be adjusted, but since he doesn't actually read fluently yet, this isn't really of any use to him right now.)  By the end of the year he should be reading regular books, and when he does, I'll give him the Reading Bar to use if he wants to use it. (You see, I make no guarantees because when the time comes, he'll either think it's totally cool, or will refuse to use it, and I have no idea what it will be.  LOL)


What's the bottom line?  $2.99 for one Book Size See-N-Read Reading Bar or Memorymark/$3.49 for the document sizes/$29.99 for the download (on one computer.)

I am going to give See-N-Read 3 out of 5 smileys!!!

Check it out! http://www.see-n-read.com/prodcts.html


See what my fellow TOS Crew members have to say @ http://homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolcrew/783605/


*The Smiley System:


I can't really recommend this product.

I doubt this product would be helpful to many people.

This is a good product, but isn't right for everyone.

Most homeschool moms will find this useful.

This is great, and I would recommend it to anyone!!!


Disclaimer!!! I reviewed this product because I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. I was given the product by the vendor to use and evaluate in my home so that I might share my insights with others. Other than receiving the product, which I kinda have to to be able to assess the product, I am not compensated for my reviews in any way. I am in no way obligated to give a positive review. I do try to point out negatives when I see them, though I am admittedly a pretty easy going gal! What you read are my honest assessments of the products I receive.

As with all products, you must do the research before buying. Please visit the the other crew members' blogs, the vendor websites, and any other review sites you might find before buying. I can't guarantee that a product will work for you. You must decide what will fit with your teaching style, and your child(ren)'s learning style(s). I do not judge anything other than the educational value of the products I review. I am not qualified to make judgements as to the safely of any product, and I make no guarantee that the products I review are safe for you, your family, or anyone else. I am simply giving my opinion; only you know what is best for you and your family.

Don't use your blow dryer while you sleep or take a bath. Don't read my reviews in the tub either, and please do not read them when you are asleep, though I do not guarantee that you won't fall asleep reading them!

Copyright 2010 Ramblings from the Crazy House 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails