Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Review!!! Math Tutor!


Well, hello there!!!  I'm so glad you stopped by!  :)  I bet you'd like to get my posts delivered right to your inbox, now wouldn't you?  So why not sign up for Feedburner?  Check it out, it's right there in my sidebar!  Thanks!!  :)



About the product/service: As part of the TOS Homeschool Crew I received two free DVD's from Math Tutor, Pre-Algebra Volume 1 and Texas Instruments TI-84 Calculator Tutor, so that I could check them out and let you know my humble opinion! 

These DVDs are part of whole series of math DVDs that have been created to help students learn math all the way up to advanced calculus!  The instructor on the DVDs is Jason Gibson, who is a real life rocket scientist.  He actually left his position at NASA to create this series.  Apparently the guy likes math! 

The DVDs are very much like having a professor standing right in your living room, happily teaching your child the joys of math as he writes on the white board.  Each disk contains several hours of instruction. 





All the basics of each subject are covered.  For example, the Pre-Algebra DVD covers real numbers, the number line, absolute value, multiplying integers, and more.  The TI-83/TI-84 Calulator DVD covers the Mode Menu, Sin, Cos, Tan, Scientific Notation, and more.  And if you are clueless as to what all that means, you probably need this!  :)

What are the pros of this product?  Having this DVD is simply just very convenient.  You just pop it in and there's your personal rocket scientist, ready to teach your kid math!  A DVD is great because you can use is over and over, and with mulitple children. 




What's not to like?  Well, it's no high tech production.  If you are looking for a Hollywood style product, this is not it.  It's simply a man, a marker, and a whiteboard.  I have to say, however, that he seems to love the topic and is not one of those horrid monotone types I always seemed to get in college!  :)

The Crazy Mom Take: To be honest, I don't have a child who at the pre-algebra level right now, nor do I have one who needs to learn how to use this particular calculator.  However, God willing, I will soon!  I think these videos are great, and I will definitely be using them when the time comes.  For me personally, I like the fact that they are all business.  Bells and whistles are okay for the younger set, but c'mon, by junior/senior high a kid ought to be able to sit and follow an instructor.  Since I am not exactly a math whiz, and I have limited time, this makes a perfect supplement to what we are already doing.  I need all the help I can get!  Now to find a good brain surgeon!   

Happy math! :)

 

What's the bottom line?  List price is $34.99 for the Pre-Algebra DVD and $31.99 for the TI-84 Calculator DVD/Both are currently available at the Math Tutor website for $26.99  Money Back Guarantee!

I am going to give Math Tutor 4 out of 5 smileys!!!

Check it out! http://www.mathtutordvd.com/public/main.cfm



See what my fellow TOS Crew members have to say @

 http://homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolcrew/782960/  



*The Smiley System:


I can't really recommend this product.

I doubt this product would be helpful to many people.

This is a good product, but isn't right for everyone.

Most homeschool moms will find this useful.

This is great, and I would recommend it to anyone!!!


Disclaimer!!! I reviewed this product because I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. I was given the product by the vendor to use and evaluate in my home so that I might share my insights with others. Other than receiving the product, which I kinda have to to be able to assess the product, I am not compensated for my reviews in any way. I am in no way obligated to give a positive review. I do try to point out negatives when I see them, though I am admittedly a pretty easy going gal! What you read are my honest assessments of the products I receive.

As with all products, you must do the research before buying. Please visit the the other crew members' blogs, the vendor websites, and any other review sites you might find before buying. I can't guarantee that a product will work for you. You must decide what will fit with your teaching style, and your child(ren)'s learning style(s). I do not judge anything other than the educational value of the products I review. I am not qualified to make judgements as to the safely of any product, and I make no guarantee that the products I review are safe for you, your family, or anyone else. I am simply giving my opinion; only you know what is best for you and your family.

Don't use your blow dryer while you sleep or take a bath. Don't read my reviews in the tub either, and please do not read them when you are asleep, though I do not guarantee that you won't fall asleep reading them!

Copyright 2010 Ramblings from the Crazy House 2

1 comment:

Talk to me!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails